NEW DETAILS: What’s open and what’s not in Hyattsville, Friday of Blizzard 2016 edition
BY REBECCA BENNETT — Updated at 7:03 p.m. Here’s a list of what’s opening and happening near the City of Hyattsville during the Blizzard of 2016, as well as what is not. Check back here for frequent updates. Need to add something to the list? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s open and happening
- Busboys and Poets will close at 8 p.m. on Friday.
- As of 7 p.m., Giant on East West Highway is currently open for regular hours.
- As of 7 p.m., the Town Center Market in Riverdale Park has said they plan to remain open through any snow event Friday evening.
- Target was planning to stay open, but we could not confirm at 7 p.m. if they were still open.
- Vigilante Coffee is hosting a Snowman Building Contest from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday. Local residents are encouraged to come to the Roastery at 4327 Gallatin Street and build a snowman on the hill across the street. Final judging will take place at 1 p.m. and the winner takes home a $20 Vigilante Coffee gift card.
What’s not open or canceled/rescheduled
- Federal offices will close at Noon. Employees have the option of unscheduled leave or telework.
- Prince George’s County Public Schools were already closed tomorrow. All offices and facilities will close at Noon on Friday. The second quarter will be extended for one day for students when the school district reopens. All weekend athletic events and any community and religious services are cancelled.
- Metro announced Metrorail service will end at 11 p.m. on Friday. Metrobus will operate on a severe snow plan Friday and be suspended Saturday and Sunday. MetroAccess service will end at 6 p.m. Friday and be suspended Saturday and Sunday.
- MARC trains will be operating on an S schedule Friday and service is canceled Saturday.
- All M-NCPPC Parks and Recreation facilities and offices in Prince George’s County will close at Noon on Friday, Jan. 22, and remain closed through Sunday, Jan. 24. All programs, events and rentals are canceled.
- The Prince George’s County Circuit and District Courts will close at 12:30 p.m. Friday.
- The Prince George’s County Department of the Environment said that all county-collected bulky, regular trash, recycling and yard waste collections is suspended for Friday. When service resumes, collection can occur anytime between 6:30 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Joe’s Movement Emporium will be closed Friday and Saturday. The Clown Cabaret is rescheduled for Feb. 5 at 7 p.m.
- Toddler Time will happen at Art Works is on for Friday as planned between 10 a.m. and Noon. The School’s Out…We’re In program will have before care starting at 8 a.m., but after care is canceled and camp will end promptly at 3 p.m.
- Hyattsville Aging in Place has rescheduled its “Dementia Examined” program to Jan. 30. Coffee and conversation begin at 9 a.m. followed by the presentation by geriatric specialist Dr. Stephanie Trifoglio. Free. Hyattsville Municipal Building, 4310 Gallatin Street.
- The open house for the new Crossfit Hyattsville is rescheduled for 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 30.
- According to the Brentwood Arts Exchange, the opening reception for Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here DC 2016, a literary and cultural festival, is rescheduled to Saturday, Jan. 30 from 5 to 8 p.m. RSVP on Facebook.
- I Love Kickboxing in University Town Center will be closed Friday and Saturday.
- Classes at Love Yoga are canceled Saturday and Sunday.
- Franklins Restaurant, Brewery and General Store will be closing at 3 p.m. on Friday and will be closed Saturday.
- Big Bad Woof said delivery customers may need to come into the store or wait until Monday.
- The Prince George’s County Memorial Library System will close at 2 p.m. Friday and be closed Saturday and Sunday.
- Fleishers of Maryland is closing early Friday and will be closed Saturday and Sunday.
- City of Hyattsville offices will close early on Friday. White goods/large appliances will be collected on Wednesday instead of Monday.
- Carolina Kitchen Bar & Grill in the University Town Center is already closed on Friday and will not open again until Sunday.
- Elevation Burger in the Shoppes at Arts District will close early Friday (3 to 4 p.m., weather dependent) and will not be open Saturday.
- Spice 6 in the Shoppes at Arts District is closing at 3 p.m. on Friday.
- Tara Thai in the Shoppes at Arts District is already closed on Friday and will not be opening on Saturday.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill in the Shoppes at Arts District will close at 3 p.m. Friday and not open Saturday.
- Friday evening and Saturday classes at Yoga Space are canceled.
- The Sunday school and Sunday worship service at Hyattsville Mennonite Church are canceled.
- Big Bad Woof: “We will be opening at 10am in Takoma DC and 11am in the Arts District Hyattsville. We will be closing today at around 3pm at both store locations and will remain closed on Saturday.”
- The Starbucks on Belcrest Road will close at 4 p.m. Friday and stay closed Saturday. Starbucks in College Park will be open until 4 p.m.
- The Mall at Prince Georges will close at 2 p.m. on Friday.
- Yes! Organic Market will close at 7 p.m. Friday.